Period Motor Vehicle Inspection aka “Safety Check”

We are here to help guide you through this and have some of the most veteran inspectors on the island to help you.

We work very hard to employ, and even developed a training program in an effort to help certify as many inspectors as we can to help give you the most available inspection times on the island. Please feel free to call the shop you wish to visit to see if the inspector is on duty when you would like to come in – and if they aren’t, please ask which shops have an inspector working as we do have several shops even offering Sunday inspections.

safety inspectionAs for the physical inspection, all criteria are laid out by the State via regulatory statutes. The items required to be inspected, each item’s specific criteria, costs, time permitted to make corrections, who is permitted to perform these inspections, virtually every step and detail is spelled out there.

Common questions/issues related to the safety inspection:

Insurance Cards – Effective July 1, 2016, Hawaii State Law has been amended to allow for electronic insurance cards as acceptable proof of vehicle insurance. You may submit either an original watermarked insurance card or an electronic version of proof of insurance.

Window Tint – We make no money failing you for tint, and if you see cars with illegal tint, rest assured they didn’t get their passing stickers from us! Passenger cars and SUV/Trucks do have different standards that determine Passing vs Failing. Passenger Cars =  35% all windows. Truck/SUV 35% front doors only all other windows have no regulations dictating darkness. All vehicles can have no less than 70% light transmittance on the windshield, and no tint exceeding the AS1 mark on the upper portion of the windshield. If the tint is bubbled, it fails. No matter what state you came from, your car must conform to HI regulations to get registered, even if you keep it registered in that other state.

Lifted and Lowered – We are automobile enthusiasts, and modifying your suspension to create your car your way is a great option. On the island of Oahu, if you modify your suspension you will need a Reconstruction Permit. This is issued by the Motor Vehicle Dept, and required prior to us inspecting your vehicle.

Front License Plates – Any vehicle registered in a state that issues two license plates must have them both properly secured to the front and rear of the vehicle. If your plate is zip tied and swinging around, it is considered unsecured. No, you can’t have it in your window, on your dash, or on your sun visor, and especially not in the glove box.